Police say they are not looking for any other suspects in relation to the incident
A man arrested over a Preston house fire which left two children fighting for their lives has been released by police.
Lancashire Constabulary today (April 11) said no further action will be taken against the 24-year-old, with the fire at a house on Coronation Crescent no longer being treated as suspicious. Firefighters were called to the property at 7.52pm on Friday (April 8) when a mum and her five and three-year-old children were trapped inside as the blaze broke out.
The fire was put out two hours later, with all three casualties taken to hospital. Both children remain in hospital in life-threatening condition. Their next of kin are with them in hospital and are being supported by specially-trained officers.
In a new update on Monday, the force said the investigation continued but the fire was no longer being trated as suspicious and no further suspects were sought. The man had been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.
Det Ch Insp Graham Hill, of the Force Major Investigation Team, said: “This remains a very sad and tragic incident and my thoughts remain with all those involved at this time. While we initially did make an arrest, we can confirm this man has been released no further action. He has been eliminated from our enquiries and we are not currently looking for anybody else in connection with the investigation.
“Our enquiries into the cause of the fire are continuing, however, at this stage of the investigation there is no evidence to suggest that the cause of the fire is suspicious. I would urge people not to speculate and we will update you in due course.”
Anybody with information is asked to get in touch on 101, quoting log 1305 of April 8th.